Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » passing parameters for display only
passing parameters for display only [message #173509] Mon, 22 May 2006 15:58 Go to next message
bdrufner
FORMS 9.04, RDBMS 9.2

I have a simple requirement where the user selects a student and registers that student for a class.

I have developed a STUDENT form (based on a student table) and a CLASS form (based on a class table). I would like to be able to select a student from the student form (after querying to find the right one), and pass the students name (and others values) to the class form for "display purposes only". The student name would not be used in any query. (It gives my user base a "warm and fuzzy" to SEE that they have selected the right student). Razz

From the class form, (with specific student attributes embedded at the top of the form), the user would like to be able to select a class (after querying to find the right one).

Finally, the user would click on a button and save both student and class data to a third table name REGISTRATION.

I found a note in Metalink (doc id 28931.1) [PDF attached to this doc] on the issue of passing parameters between forms. The example creates two forms EMP and DEPT and passes the deptno value from DEPT form to EMP form. I am able to duplicate this and I have learned much about passing parameters between forms.

My problem is this note uses the deptno value in the DEPT form as a value to be queried against. Basis this example, if I choose 10 in the DEPT form for the deptno value and execute, I am limited to EMP data where the emp.deptno value is 10.

I have tried modifying the original example but am unable to get it to work.

Does anyone have an example where the parameter value passed from the calling form is used for display purposes only in the called form?

Any suggestions on how to modify the Metalink example or other "gems of imperial wisdom" is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Barry
Re: passing parameters for display only [message #173551 is a reply to message #173509] Tue, 23 May 2006 02:51 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I suggest that you search this forum for 'parameter' and look at the examples using parameter lists. In your second form you can display the ':parameter' values received from the first form on the canvas. In the second call you again build a paramter list but this time you add the incoming ':parameter' values as well as the ':class' values that you wish to pass on.

David
Previous Topic: Difference between form_level,Block-level,item-level triggers
Next Topic: "DML RETURNING VALUE" property not returning value with Oracle 9.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:51:46 CDT 2024