Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Problems in web deployment of Forms(6i version)[PLEASE REPLY]
Problems in web deployment of Forms(6i version)[PLEASE REPLY] [message #167358] Wed, 12 April 2006 10:30 Go to next message
orafaametta
Hi All,

I am developing a database application, using FORMS6i,and Oracle8i database. The application will be deployed over web. using Oracle application server R1

I am having following queries in this regard
(PLEASE REPLY, IT IS VERY URGENT FOR ME)

1.WIth a combination of Forms6i and Oracle 8i, is it must that we need to use JAVA(PJC's,Java Beans & oracle supplied sample java code)in order to implement following 4 functions running over web.

A. Image Display
(However images fetched from database columns are visible over web)
B.Window dialogue box(File selection box)
C.Calendar
(The smart class component gives adverse effects over web)
D.Hyperlinks

2.The application gives adverse effect when running with 600-800 resolution.(I am developing the application with 1024-768 resolution setting.)

3.The background of the application
(currently it is default, I changed the formsweb.cfg file, instead of keeping null i defined the Background parameter with some gif file, but all in vain)

4.Calling Reports through web deployed forms
(report version is 6i)

I am not much experienced with the web applications/deployment, please provide me some suggestions how to give best LOOK AND FEEL to my application (form6i and oracle 8i--over web) as currently i am not satisfied with the look and feel of the application (it is not eye catching)

Thanks in Advance,

Regards
Ashish

[Updated on: Thu, 13 April 2006 01:43] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problems in web deployment of Forms(6i version)[PLEASE REPLY] [message #167446 is a reply to message #167358] Thu, 13 April 2006 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
1A. Image display is built-in.
1B. File selection is via d2kwutil - Java but PL/SQL easy - search forum for d2kwutil.
1C. Calendar - Java but PL/SQl easy - search forum for calendar.
1D. Hyperlinks - simulate using Visual Attributes - use When-Mouse-Click to put field contents into 'host' command.

2. Develop application at the resolution that the user will be running.

3. Background of application is IN the form. Put the graphic at the 'back' of your canvas.

4. Reports works. I suggest using 'web.show_document'.

David
Re: Problems in web deployment of Forms(6i version)[PLEASE REPLY] [message #167509 is a reply to message #167358] Thu, 13 April 2006 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
orafaametta
Hello,
Mr. David.

Thanks for the reply.

1.I have found, why the icons/images were not being displayed(over web). (because in formsweb.cfg file,by mistaken i kept a small space in the defult path for icon/imgae)
Now this is fine.

2. File selection box(I found that the D2kwutil utility is not supported in web deployed forms.I read it in the readme file for this utitility at this link file:///D:/ashish/FA/d2kwutil_6_0_6_0/D2KWUTIL.html#Web).

3.Calendar
Currently i am using smart class component for calendar which gets invoked by date_lov package,but its appearnce is not appropriate in web envirement(not same as it displays in client server.)

4.Hyperlinks
<font color="orangered">U have mentioned to use HOST command,will it work for web deployed forms?.[/[/COLOR]COLOR]
My concern to use hyperlinks is to give a attractive look to application, because currently buttons are not looking good, and professional look in the application is missing,please suggest me some best prctices,which i can incorporate to give a attractive look(even without hyperlinks)

5.Background
I mentioned about the background of MDI window,now as i have corrected the defult path in formsweb.cfg, it works now

6.Reports
You have mentioned about WEB.show_document,will it work with forms6i and oracle8i combination?
However i am reading the pdf for run_report_object built-in

7. Resolution settings
What i concluded from your answer is that at the time of implementaion i have to docuement it and specificaly ask user to run the application in 1024-768 resolution settings.Because this application is being developed in 1024-768 setting and is not in early stages of devlopment

Thanks & regards
Ashish

[Updated on: Thu, 13 April 2006 08:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problems in web deployment of Forms(6i version)[PLEASE REPLY] [message #167903 is a reply to message #167509] Mon, 17 April 2006 21:36 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
2. Use 'web_util' then.

4. Hyperlinks - try buttons that have no edging, use a font with underscoring, when the button is pressed change the colour of the test and invoke document using 'host' command.

6. Web.show_document is in the 6i reference manual so you should assume that it will work.

7. No, you change YOUR resolution to that which the user is using and design the application to that screen size. Once you have worked out the 'mathematics' to get the screen working at the user's resolution you can continue to do the development at a higher resolution but always running the screen at their size. I recommend NEVER running the application maximised, work out the size and set the browser window and Forms window and canvas to the size that the user desires.

David
Previous Topic: how can i attach a logo or a pic
Next Topic: Cant see regional characters in Forms 6i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:45:06 CDT 2024