Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Accessing Oracle from Mainframes
Accessing Oracle from Mainframes [message #115889] Thu, 14 April 2005 17:15 Go to next message
mainssg
Hi,

I am working in a mainframe-DB2 elimination project. I read and heard about the "Accessing the Oracle DB from mainframes". If anybody has more info about the same will you please pass it to me. If you want to send any documents about the same, you are most welcome..

Thanks...

Praveen
icon9.gif  Re: Accessing Oracle from Mainframes [message #131187 is a reply to message #115889] Thu, 04 August 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vdimens
I'm facing the same problem. Can some one share the knowledge?

Thanks,
Vlad.
Re: Accessing Oracle from Mainframes [message #131209 is a reply to message #131187] Thu, 04 August 2005 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay. I did a search for "mainframe access to oracle" on Oracle Technology Network (OTN) and found this "Oracle Access Manager for CICS" as the first article. Is this what you are after?

David

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2005 18:36]

Report message to a moderator

icon9.gif  Re: Accessing Oracle from Mainframes [message #131638 is a reply to message #131209] Mon, 08 August 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vdimens
Thanks, David
however this is not what I'm looking for. I need to perform select from Oracle by using JCL or Cobol on z/OS.

Based on search of this forum I understand that I need to have SQLPLUS or Oracle's drivers for JDBC or SQLNET or ...

Can you tell me if this is all the same products? May be it is possible to see sample Cobol_SQL or JCL statement to perform this select. I saw a lot of references to TNSNAMES DD name file in JCL but have no idea how it should look like.

Can you put some light in all this questions?

thanks, Vlad.
Re: Accessing Oracle from Mainframes [message #131663 is a reply to message #131638] Mon, 08 August 2005 19:49 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Vlad,

I worked in an IBM shop for twenty years and I was never alone. I think you need to go talk with some of the other people in your shop. If you have been commissioned to start from scratch then this is a new Oracle facility and as part of the new license Oracle will offer you support. Ask for it, your client has paid for it.

Do you have any Oracle database tools, for example, TOAD, SQL*Navigator? If not, then get one. (I like TOAD.)

Once you have built your tnsnames.ora on your PC then a quick ftp to the mainframe is all your need, but there WILL be a TNSNAMES.ORA file on the mainframe in the 'oracle_home.NETWORK.ADMIN.SAMPLE' directory. Review it, copy it to the oracle_home.NETWORK.ADMIN' directory and update it there.

David
Previous Topic: pls urgent cursor trnsfters from one item to another item
Next Topic: Avoiding Gaps in Sequence Number Inputs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:53:10 CDT 2024